Monday, August 22, 2011

Out with the handwritten notes, in with the emails...

They say out with the old and in with new.  Well, the new, I learned in my first day of library school is email, facebook posts, and tweets.  Out are hand written notes. 

The other day, I had a patron at the bookstore I work for ask for a book on cursive writing.  She was purchasing this book for her 6th grader who had never been taught proper handwriting skills in the public schools.  When the girl looked at the book, her response was, "but I know how to type."  This hurt my heart.  I wanted to look at her and say, "yes, but an email can never replace what it feels like to get a letter in the mail from a good friend on a bad day. A facebook message does not replace a birthday card with a long handwritten note from a loved one.  These things are irreplaceable."  But maybe you can't miss something you never had.

I know I get a bit giddy when I see a fun colored envelope sitting in the mailbox with my name printed neatly on the front.  The cards are always fun, and the accompanying message is heart warming.  It reminds me that I know awesome people who still care enough to write a letter and buy a stamp. That is reason enough for me to keep my stationary stockpiled.


No comments:

Post a Comment